Thursday, December 16, 2010

read before use

Aw How Nice
Google sent me a nice notecard along with the notebook.
Maybe it would have been better to start off a little differently. The first thing some people do when you say Don't Panic is precisely that. You just know after hearing it the next thing is going to be
There's a huge bug on your back.


I didn't panic but I did get pretty frustrated attempting to go to the Cloud to edit and post these photos. It's fine that Google wants us to do everything on line BUT the cr-48 doesn't have an easy way to get stuff off the ground. That will probably come but the file system and support for plugging in data storage is seriously lacking. I wasted way to much time just discovering a way to do it and that proved to be a royal pain and maybe, just maybe I was about to throw a money wrench into the inner workings of the computer so I stopped trying.



Two other things, and they're big ones. 

Uploading photos from the camera's SDHC storage card to the online image editors is painfully slow. In the past I only uploaded edited image files to my web site server that were considerably smaller in file size. Having to upload the original without resizing the image size at the very least really slows things down.

Then the online image editing apps lack some of the functionally of the one on my desktop. Overall the online image editors do everything I need and they're easy to use. In some way's I like Pixlr Editor better than mine. But here again I run into the problem of getting the file back to my cr-48. So far I haven't found a way to download the edited images to my portable storage devise. Not that there isn't but I haven't found ot yet. 

I never did say I was computer literate. 
I've got a bit of knowledge and experience but only enough to make me dangerous.



Still, I like the concept of a internet only notebook. For a while the heavy lifting will be done on my desktop. As I gain more experience, Google enhances the Chrome OS and developers create more Apps the cloud will be a happy place.


Time to futz around again.
Maybe I'll stumble across that one thing that makes everything else snap into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment